Tony Danza - "Going Ape" - 1981

Ahh .. Tony Danza. Here's the thing, forget "Who's the boss," his talk show etc. I can see where you might not be into him if that is where you first saw him. But if you are old enough to remember him from "Taxi"(1978-1983) and didn't have a crush on him then I am disappointed in you. He played a slightly dim boxer named "Tony Banta" (think of a more realistic "joey" from friends - dim but sweet) and he was one of the reasons I knew I was "different" as a kid. One of the best episodes of Taxi was when a bi-sexual male fell in love with Tony and how he handled it. It was hilarious but at the same time handled in a way that wasn't demeaning to the bi-sexual guy. In retrospect it is pretty shocking it was handled as well as it was given the time period. I couldn't watch "who's the boss" or anything else he was in cause he is locked (pleasantly) in my memory as Tony Banta.When I heard he was in a movie in his tighty whities a few years ago I went on a quest to find it. And it lived up to expectations. More recently it has been on Netflix so I was able to get better caps.  By the way, the movie sucks (although to be fair, it is aimed at kids) so if you want to see the scene just jump to near the end. Oh, and if you don't like Danza here, there are caps of Danny Devito also.
                                                                 Tony Banta
















































2 comments:

  1. He's also in grey briefs in an episode of WTB. It's the episode where he's filming a commercial for some type of shower gel/soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never seen this before!

    Great!

    captaincold1

    ReplyDelete